All applications for development must be submitted to the Zoning Officer for review before building permits can be issued.
The applicant must submit a copy of the property survey along with a completed and signed zoning application before the review process can begin.
If the project involves an addition to the residence or an accessory structure, the survey should show the size of the project, distances to the property lines, location of the septic, the distance to the residence, and all impervious coverage on the property. If the application involves a home occupation or interior renovation, a floor plan showing the change must accompany the application.
It is wise to contact the office regarding permits before you start. Some retailers give incorrect information telling customers permits are not needed, when they are, putting you at risk for a violation.
Click Here for a Zoning Application
There is a fee required prior to the issuance of a zoning permit, if work is done without an approved zoning permit there is an additional charge. There may also be additional penalties, which may include issuance of a summons for work done without a permit. Occasionally, a permit cannot be approved by this office because it requires review and approval from the Planning/Zoning Board. In those instances, following submission and review of the zoning application, a letter will be sent informing you that you need an additional approval and how to proceed.
– For construction costs up to $20,000 the fee is $30.00 (If work was done without a permit, the fee is $50.00)
– Construction costs between $21,000 – $50,000 the fee is $40.00 (If work was done without a permit, the fee is $65.00)
– Construction costs over $50,000 the fee is $50.00 (If work was done without a permit, the fee is $80.00)
– Construction costs for a new home the fee is $75.00 (If work was done without a permit, the fee is $105.00) - Home occupation permit fee is $40.00 (If done without a permit, the fee is $60.00)
– Construction costs up to $10,000 the fee is $40.00 (If work was done without a permit, the fee is $60.00)
– Construction costs between $10,000 – $100,000 the fee is $75.00 (If work was done without a permit, the fee is $100.00)
– Construction costs over $100,000 the fee is $100.00 (If work was done without a permit, the fee is $150.00)
– Letters of Certification or approvals $30.00
Land use, property maintenance and littering violations of the Code of the Township of Stillwater are addressed in this department. Violations are received in multiple ways; complaints left with the main office, as a message on the voice mail system or by mail. All violations received are investigated and when appropriate, a Notice of Violation will be sent. Residents are not required to provide their name and address when filing a complaint. In most cases, the Notice of Violation is adequate and no further action is necessary to correct the problem. However, when necessary a summons to Municipal Court will be issued for failure to abate the violation.
Registration and Maintenance of Abandoned/Vacant Homes and their property are required in Stillwater Township. The Registration Fees are as follows: The first year is $250.00, the second year is $500.00, years 3 through 5 is $1,000.00 and for any year more than five years is $5,000.00. Any changes in property management should be reported to the Code Enforcement Officer, Arlene Fisher at (973) 383-6332 or Zoning@stillwatertwp.com.
This program is available to low and moderate income homeowners in Stillwater. The repair or replacement of substandard heating, electrical and plumbing systems, structural repairs, repairs to correct code violations, lead based paint remediation and stabilization measures, energy saving measures such as insulation, new windows and storm doors. Those improvements that will upgrade the home to standard condition.
Stillwater Township offers residents a Recycling and Convenience Center for household trash and recycling.
Residents are able to view property tax information through the Municipal Software Inc. system. You may find a property by entering the property’s location or block, lot and qualifier.
Stillwater Township posts all information about bids and proposals for township projects on a dedicated page.