The Office of the Clerk is one of the oldest government offices established by state law. Municipal Clerks must hold a Registered Municipal Clerk license issued by the State of New Jersey and attend continuing education courses throughout each year to maintain their license in good standing.
Do you have a question for the Township Clerk? You may find the answer in the Township Clerk FAQs.
Track you Ballot – Click the link below:
Duties of the Office of the Clerk
Secretary to the Municipal Corporation
– Custodian of the municipal seal and of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts, and archival records of the municipal corporation
– Attest to the signatures of municipal officials and officers
– Maintain receipt of service of legal documents
Secretary to the Governing Body
– Prepares meeting agendas at the discretion of the governing body
– Is present at all meetings of the governing body
– Records the minutes of every meeting
– Retains original copies of all Ordinances and Resolutions
– Administers and records Oaths of Office
– Acts as liaison to the public and correspondent on behalf of the governing body
Serves as Chief Administrative Officer of all Elections Held in the Municipality
Subject to Statutory Law Title 19
– Certify vacancies at a local level
– Maintain receipt of nominating petitions and exercise quasi-judicial authority in determining the validity of petitions
– Certify election of candidates for municipal office and maintain election results
Serves as the Chief Registrar of Voters in the Municipality
Subject to Statutory Law Title 19
– Voter Registration Applications and Voter Absentee Ballot Applications may be obtained from the Clerk’s Office.
Serves as an Administrative Officer Responsible for the Acceptance and Issuance of Licenses and Permits
The Office of the Clerk issues the following permits and licenses:
– Dog Licenses
– Raffle and Bingo Licenses
– Landlord Tenant Registrations
– Liquor Licenses and Social Affair Permits
– Solicitor’s Licenses
– Livery/Taxi Licenses
– Issues Assessment Search Certificates
Serves as a Coordinator and Records Manager
– Serves as the Custodian of Records and is responsible for the management and retention of Township records
– Implements local archives and records retention programs
Register to vote on line: https://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/voter-registration.shtml
NJ Voter Registration Application (paper version – click to view/download)**
** can also use to change address or party affiliation
2022 Election Dates & Deadlines (for Primary Election)
April 4, 2022: Deadline for filing Primary Petition – Municipal and County Committee by 4:00 p.m.
April 13, 2022: Deadline to Change Party Affiliation for Primary Election
April 14, 2022: Municipal Clerk Drawings for Ballot Positions for Primary Election Candidates (will be held zoom if necessary) 3:00 p.m.
May 17, 2022: Voter Registration Deadline for Primary Election
May 31, 2022: Deadline to apply for a Mail-In Ballot by Mail for Primary
June 7, 2021: Primary Election Day
Elections – Voters, take note of election district changes!
Some Congressional Districts have been changed, effective January 2022. Sussex County no longer falls within the 11th Congressional District; Sussex County now falls under the 5th & 7th districts. Review the lists below to see if your municipality has been assigned to a new Congressional District:
CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT #5
Andover Township, Branchville Borough, Frankford Township, Franklin Borough, Hamburg Borough, Hampton Township, Hardyston Township, Lafayette Township, Montague Township, Town of Newton, Sandyston Township, Sussex Borough, Vernon Township, Wantage Township
CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT #7
Andover Borough, Byram Township, Fredon Township, Green Township, Hopatcong Borough, Ogdensburg Borough, Sparta Township, Stanhope Borough, Stillwater Township, Walpack Township
Stillwater Township offers residents a Recycling and Convenience Center for household trash and recycling.
Residents are able to view property tax information through the Municipal Software Inc. system. You may find a property by entering the property’s location or block, lot and qualifier.
Stillwater Township posts all information about bids and proposals for township projects on a dedicated page.