June 11, 2018 Regular Meeting


June 11, 2018

MEMBERS PRESENT: Mrs. Emmetts, Mr. Dvorsky, Mrs. Tracey, Mr. Szabo, Mrs. Branagan, Mr. Blanchard, Mr. Svendsen, Mr. Nause, Mr. Branagan


Mr. Branagan called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. with the statement that this meeting is in compliance with the Open Public Meetings Act. This was a regularly scheduled meeting of the Stillwater Township Environmental Commission. Regular meetings are held on the second Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m., at the Stillwater Township Municipal Building located in Middleville, New Jersey.

The flag was saluted and roll call taken.


Mr. Dvorsky made a motion to approve the minutes of 5/14/18, as amended, seconded by Mr. Szabo.

Roll Call Vote: Mrs. Emmetts, yes, Mrs. Tracey, yes, Mr. Szabo, yes, Mr. Dvorsky, yes, Mrs. Branagan, abstain, Mr. Svendsen, yes, Mr. Branagan, yes


Mrs. Emmetts made a motion to approve the following bills, pending availability of funds, seconded by Mr. Branagan:

Secretary: $ 213.13

Roll Call Vote: Mrs. Emmetts, yes, Mrs. Tracey, yes, Mr. Szabo, yes, Mr. Dvorsky, yes, Mrs. Branagan, yes, Mr. Svendsen, yes, Mr. Branagan, yes

At this point, this portion of the meeting was opened to the public at 7:09 p.m.

There being no one from the public wishing to speak, this portion of the meeting was closed at 7:09 p.m.


-Emailed 6/5/18: Fairview Lake & Watershed Conservation Foundation Inc. Annual Meeting – June 9th @ 10:30 a.m. at the YMCA

-State of NJ Dept. of Transportation – 5/15/18, Transportation Alternative Set-Aside Program – Request for Application

-Governor’s Environmental Excellence Awards

-Emailed 5/22/18: State of NJ Recycling and Non-Acceptable Items – Draft flyer to be included in annual tax bill mailing – Mrs. Tracey provided a draft of the flyer for EC review. She will make the changes discussed and email a copy to Mrs. Wunder for distribution and review by the EC members. Final changes will be made based on input. The flyer will be included with the tax bill mailing which is normally done mid to late July.

-Email 6/5/18: Petition to ban plastic straws at McDonald’s.

Mr. Branagan suggested having a plastic bag recycling container at the Recycling Center. He referred to an article in the ANJEC 2018 Spring Report regarding the Trex Company and their current recycling program for community groups, schools and businesses. He will provide a copy of the article to Mrs. Wunder to email to the EC and this item will be added to the July agenda.

-Emailed 5/22/18: State of NJ – Proposed drone regulations – Mr. Dvorsky explained there are federal ordinances in place regulating drone use as well as some municipalities. Mrs. Emmetts noted the State Park will be using drones and aircraft to detect HABs. Mr. Svendsen stated his company uses drones to reach and inspect remote areas and it is regulated by the FAA.

-WSJ “How Bad is the Government’s Science?” – 4/17/18

-WSJ “Climate Change Has Run Its Course,” – 6/5/18

Old Business

Paulins Kill Watershed Group – June 11, 2018:

Mr. Branagan, Mr. Szabo, Mrs. Emmetts, Mr. Blanchard and Mr. Dvorsky attended the meeting. The group discussed establishing a coordinator position to head the watershed, the responsibilities of such and job description, and how to fund the position. Also discussed was how to acquire funding – Clean Communities, private donations, and municipal stormwater requirements grant. Events will be held to educate the public. The group is in the beginning stages. EC members that were in attendance may form a subcommittee and they were surprised how many municipalities do not have an Environmental Commission. Mr. Blanchard noted there are many organizations that work on the Paulins Kill and there is no coordinator to oversee the projects; one central individual is needed to organize them. Mrs. Emmetts stated a mission statement is needed and it should be drafted before moving forward. Mr. Szabo agreed and questioned if the coordinator position will be a political one or not. He asked how the position will be paid for and who will enforce the regulations or take action. He felt every municipality along the Paulins Kill needs an Environmental Commission and he is willing to visit those towns regarding the formation of such commissions and their importance.

Land Conservancy – Open Space and Recreation Plan Update:

Mayor Chammings has addressed the subject with the Township Committee and a subcommittee will be formed to review the current plan for changes.

ANJEC Open Space Stewardship Grant Update:

Mr. Vendetti is working on the VMP bridge sign and it should be completed by mid to late July. Mr. Blanchard displayed renderings of two signs: 1) Painted turtle; Snapping turtle; Spotted turtle; and Wood turtle and 2) Dragonfly and information. Each sign will be 10” x 14”. Mr. Blanchard will rearrange the layout and text. It was noted the wood turtle is threatened and the spotted turtle is of special concern. The painted and snapping turtle are both secure and stable.

Stream Water Testing Quotes:

The following quotes were obtained:

-Eurofins: $2,871.00

-NJAL: $2,063.00

-Test America: $1,646.50

-Garden State: $4,620.00

-SGS: $1,832.50

Mr. Svendsen deals with and is familiar with Test America. He explained the pick-up point would be in Sparta and the samples will be sent to a lab in Buffalo, New York. E-Coli and Coliform will be done first and taken to the Sparta lab. Bottles, labels, and chain of custody will be FedExed to the EC. Mr. Branagan will contact Test America for further information.

Fishing Line Collection: All line is to be cleaned of litter/leaves, hooks and lead sinkers. Lead sinkers are to be provided at the meeting for recycling.

Fracking Waste Bill:

Mr. Blanchard was approached about a modification to the fracking ban apparently sent to Environmental Commissions regarding fracking waste. The EC had no knowledge of the bill and Mr. Blanchard would research the matter for the next EC meeting. He stated there is currently a moratorium on fracking in the Delaware River Watershed. A modification would allow dumping of fracking waste.

New Business

Volunteer/Member Recognition:

Attendance at the Paulins Kill group meeting: Mr. Branagan, Mr. Szabo, Mr. Dvorsky, Mr. Blanchard and Mrs. Emmetts

Recycling Flyer: Mrs. Tracey

VMP Signage: Mr. Blanchard

Endangered and Threatened Species:

Red-shouldered Hawk

At this point, this portion of the meeting was opened to the public at 8:08 p.m.

There being no members of the public wishing to speak, this portion of the meeting was closed at 8:08 p.m.

Planning Board (PB) Liaison Report: Mr. Branagan

-North Shore House – memorialized resolution for the construction of a pole building.

-A discussion was held on the use of millings.

Township Liaison Report: Mayor Chammings

-Audit presentation was provided by Valerie Dolan of Nisivoccia LLP and Dana Mooney, CFO

-In rem foreclosures are moving forward.

-Fixed Assets System is moving forward.

-TC approved a contract for the Ridge Road improvements.

-A discussion was held on the SECTV renewal.

-A discussion was also held on SECTV and CenturyLink regarding the need for better tree maintenance.

-A proclamation was done for the Fairview Lake Camps Recognizing 50 Years of Laurel Ridge and Women in Camping, June 15th-17th.

-Boy Scouts attended the TC meeting, working toward a citizenship in community badge.

-Stillwater Day will be held Saturday, June 16th with fireworks display at dark.

Mr. Branagan asked if the recycling shed at VMP is being used successfully. Mayor Chammings will speak with the DPW for feedback.

The DPW Supervisor will meet with a company to address the Recycling Center driveway. The project went out to bid twice and no bids were received.

Paradise Fishing Club:

Mr. Szabo reported the Paradise Fishing Club held a contest a few weeks ago and he displayed photos of 6-7-pound Walleyes and Trout. The next contest will be an overnight Walleye contest held on June 23rd and 24th; registration at the Boat House; applications are available at the Boat House, Town Hall or by contacting Mr. Szabo.

With no further business to come before the Commission, Mrs. Emmetts made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:20 p.m., seconded by Mr. Dvorsky. In a voice vote, all were in favor.

Respectfully submitted,


Kathy Wunder, Secretary


Visit the Office of Emergency Management page for links and the latest information