June 1, 2020 Regular Meeting

Download a PDF Version >

STILLWATER TOWNSHIP RECREATION COMMISSION

The regular meeting of the Stillwater Township Recreation Commission was held on June 1, 2020 at 7:05 pm via Zoom. The meeting was called to order by Commission Chairman Dawn Delaney with the Open Public Meetings Statement and the flag salute.

Members Present: Mrs. Connelly, Mr. Reilly, Mr. Sylvester, Mrs. Tosti, Mrs. Delaney

Alternates Present: Mrs. Beshada, Mrs. Gardner

Members Absent/Excused: Ms. Hess, Mrs. Stark,

MINUTES

Motion by Mr. Sylvester, second by Mr. Reilly that the minutes of the May 4, 2020 meeting be approved with the following clarification – under open public session, Mr. Sylvester clarified that there was no home plate and that some of the inserts were badly worn which is why they ordered new ones. Motion carried with 1 abstention – Mr. Reilly

BILLS

The following bills were presented – Septicare. – May. Motion by Mr. Sylvester, second by Mrs. Connelly to approve the bill. Motion carried.

CORRESPONDENCE

An email received from E Stone Logo and it was forwarded to Mr. Sylvester and Mrs. Delaney for information only

OPEN PUBLIC SESSION – Agenda Items Only – 7:14 pm – none

AMENDMENTS TO THE AGENDA – none

SUB COMMITTEES

1. Clean Up Day – No report

2. Stillwater Day – Garden State Fireworks – Michele was going to contact them. No info yet. Tammy Leonard attempted to call them as well and got no reply.

3. Garage Sale Weekend – Mrs. Delaney and Ms. Hess work on it and will make sure it’s handled. It is possible that we could go ahead. It appears we will be able to go ahead. According to Mayor Chammings, up to 25 is ok for outside events. The consensus is to go ahead. Mrs. Delaney will work on the flyer. On the application, we will note about the social distancing protocols – follow current State Guidelines. Mrs. Delaney will pull verbiage off the Governor’s latest guidelines.

4. Summer Camp – Due to the pandemic – Mrs. Tosti is willing to still hold the summer camp. She may need to have additional counselors to keep to the minimum # of children per counselor. Mrs. Tosti mentioned that the State Park may not have lifeguards. We need to set up an appointment with the Park to see what we can and cannot do. Any other options if we cannot use the State Park. Paulinskill Lake might be another option. We would have to attend the board meeting. Mrs. Delaney will make a phone call. Mayor Chammings also mentioned there is the possibility of using the Community Center. Perhaps the Fire Co. would be available to do something with water. Mrs. Tosti will reach out to Steve Sugar (Chief)

5. County/State Fair – There is no fair this year

6. Decorating Contests – nothing at this time

7. Tree Lighting – location, etc. will be updated as time goes along

8. Field Use / Maintenance – Mr. Sylvester – Has a question for Jeff. Is there a possibility for some non-contact sports at this time? Jeff Gardner’s league wants to combine the spring and summer league and begin having practice. Should we go ahead with installation of the new equipment we have in light of the past vandalism. All little league has been canceled. Told Jeff he needs to get a field use form in asap. We will install the equipment. With help, we would like to get this done. It will be labeled Stillwater Rec and left in the barn by the field and locked up. Also, needs some clay along the perimeter and first and third base.

OLD BUSINESS

  1. Field Use Applications – none

NEW BUSINESS

  1. Fundraising – Mrs. Gardner – Nothing at this time. We will continue to look into different things to help to raise money to support the summer camp.
  2. Mr. Sylvester – make a motion to order the second set of bases from the coop. We do have the funds in our budget. $389.46; Second by Mrs. Delaney – motion carried.

OPEN PUBLIC SESSION – 7:41 pm – Mrs. Gardener – Thank everyone for their support of the 6th Grade Class

COMMITTEE MEMBER COMMENTS

Mr. Sylvester asked Mr. Scott to thank the DPW for the great job they did at Veterans for the Memorial Day service.

LIAISON REPORT

Mr. Scott spoke with the clerk. They will probably move the port-a-john to the other side of the bridge because of the vandalism. They men’s softball league is waiting to here whether they can start up at the end of the month. Their form is already approved. This is the Fall league through end of Oct.

Mayor Chammings mentioned that there will be 3 hand sanitizing stations delivered at the same time as our Port-a-Johns from Septicare. She is just verifying that the following fields are being used: Stillwater Park, just baseball at Veterans Park. Lacrosse is probably going to be a no go. Non-contact only as of now. If only 2 fields are being used, we may cancel the 3rd station.

EXECUTIVE SESSION – none

Jeff Gardner asked a question regarding his baseball team for the fall. He was advised to get a field use application in.

There was more discussion on fundraising. We need to speak to the CFO regarding the fundraising. Mayor Chammings will go back and look at the thread that came from the CFO regarding the raising of funds. There was a lot of discussion again on funds and designation or not and where does the money have go.

ADJOURNMENT

There being no further business, motion by Mr. Sylvester, second by Mrs. Connelly to adjourn at 7:59 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Michele Hess

Secretary

 

COVID-19 Information

Visit the Office of Emergency Management page for links and the latest information

VIEW THE 2020 BUDGET
(Introduced)

Click Here to Download